As the clock struck 12 and 2018 ticked in, and in the aftermath of that midnight moment, you will have reflected. Year in and year out are natural moments, as are birthdays, sunsets, fire sides, travel, death, birth, loss or even a simple question.
Reflection is welcome space and we are so often lacking in room to reflect and ask. So now of all times is the time for reflection and of course resolutions. Diets, health, gyms, smoking and drinking are all subjects of new year resolutions, but in truth only 8% are kept. New habits require commitments, and as we ponder on the year past and our roles as leaders in the non-profit world, we can take a moment, alongside the others to choose a better way in 2018.
One of the observations of 2017 is the leadership challenge we have. I know you just sighed didn’t you? Hard work a? Sometimes though it’s up to you to take responsibility. So, here’s a 10 point manifesto for better leadership this year. Write it down and do it. Yes, you. Don’t wait, don’t over think, don’t get permission. Just smash a few walls, knock a few heads, grin and light a flare up, put on a tune and just do
- Find what makes you laugh – We take laughter for granted. But this year seek it out. Make others laugh. See the funny side. Celebrate the absurd, find the twist, roll from side to side in what ever makes you smile
- Find real purpose – Stop and find clarity on purpose – you, your team, your cause, your organisation. Get it shining and stick lights on it, fly it from aeroplanes and write it in the sky in fireworks. Carve it on your soul. Stop tinkering and become a laser. Purpose will guide you to greatness
- Become a talent gardener – Look around you. See that talent. Make it your business. Nudge it forward, blow some love, make a chance and steer someone. Encourage, recognise, shine some confidence and tend the garden
- Defeat Stupid – Stupid thrives when no one calls it out. It’s not about being cruel or unkind, but it’s about defending the good from the stupid – the people whose art form is dim, pointless, being busy, wasted and an excuse for so-called doing when all it really does is make things harder. The naysayers. The blockers. The drainers. Don’t put up with them when its plain and obvious. Call it out – nicely of course.
- DIY development – Take responsibly for growing this year. Seek out a programme, a course, a mentor, a friend. Read. Watch. Listen. Attend. Give to you and grow, write a journal, set a goal, learn, shine and share.
- Work smarter – Recognise that process and system can liberate. Lead solid change by steps. Find the tech. Empower the best practice. Build a platform so you can feel free to soar. Be smart
- F**k up now and then – Failure. You can’t learn and succeed if you can’t fail. Its ok. Push back at those who live in a fantasy of no risk. Scare them a little.
- Exile the bullies – 2018. Enough now. Find them and face them and cut the cord of their power. There are too many who prey on vulnerable and slight and perception. They fail to lift and they aim to bring down. Bring them down with courage but always kindness
- Raise your eyes – What are you aiming for? Where are you going? Where could you go if you lifted your gaze? Don’t be boring and plain. Be incredible and bold
- Be brave – Lean in and lead. Don’t wait. Find some courage to make things happen with your own power and brilliance.
Finding reflection and then resolution as a leader is of course about hard work. But its much more as the year unfolds. It’s about your attitude, your courage and your openness. Give things up and start new things. Truly become a good leader in 2018
If you’d like to hear more about Good Leaders or upcoming events, programmes, coaching, strategic reviews, creation sessions, team days and training click here to receive more information